Ads 468x60px

Sunday 15 May 2016

Ogaki Festival in Japan!

I love festivals and I was delighted when my co-workers in Japan told me about the Ogaki matsuri. Matsuri is the Japanese word for festival. The Ogaki matsuri is Ogaki's biggest festival and it has a 360 year old history. It began when the neighborhoods surrounding Ogaki donated shrines and floats during the reconstruction of Ogaki Hachiman Shrine in 1648.

Ogaki is known for being the most centrally located city in Japan. It's also the second biggest city in Gifu Prefecture. When I was in Japan I lived and worked in Ogaki and this festival literally took place in the streets right outside my apartment building!

During the festival thirteen floats or "yama" of Ogaki are paraded through the streets of the city. On the streets there are many stalls that sell food and merchandise and offer fun games to play. My favourite float was the one with children dressed up as Maiko or Geisha on the float. 

In the evening the floats were decorated with lanterns which lit up at night. 

Some of the candy sold at the food stalls was so cute! I liked the character lollipops and the Minion bananas.


The Ogaki Matsuri is very interesting. It's a fun way to spend a weeked in Ogaki! I would recommend attending this festival if you happen to be in Japan and near to Ogaki city.

Festival (Matsuri) information:
Address: Ogaki Hachiman Shrine and the main street outside JR Ogaki Station.
1-1, Nishitogawacho, Ogaki, Gifu 503-0908
Ogaki city Japan

May 14 2016- May 15 2016


2 comments:

  1. Very interesting.The floats are very colourful. It looks like they have put a lot of work into organising this festival. Glad the festival ran over two days so that you could visit the stalls today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) It was fun to attend this festival!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Templates